Currently on view:
$155, $130 mbrs. (discounted price will display for members upon login)
Limit 12 students.
Online photography classes: Thursdays January 7, 14, 21, 28 and February 4 at 4pm (sessions will run for 1.5 hours)
Students will meet via Zoom.
Upon signing up for this class, you will automatically receive a welcome letter from the teacher + instructions on getting started. Please check your inbox and your spam folder. If you don’t receive the welcome letter, please email email@example.com.
The Photographer’s Playbook is a collection of photography exercises and assignments from notable and accomplished photographers and photography teachers, put together by the Aperture Foundation. Some are practical, some are intellectual, some are challenging, and some are as elusive in meaning as a Buddhist koan. They are designed to teach you to question yourself, to change the way you think about your photography. This class will use this book as a text and work through a series of those assignments, shooting two to three a week and then meeting via Zoom for a guided discussion and group critique of the results. Any type of camera, from iPhone to top-end DSLR, will work for this class.
sponsored by Four Star Rentals
Mark Hedden is a writer and photographer. His photography ranges from street to documentary to wildlife to experimental to several disciplines in between. His photo work has appeared in the Key West Citizen, The New York Times, Roads & Kingdoms, People, The Guardian, CNN, and several other places. His solo shows include Velo City, Nocturnal, and On The Hook at The Studios of Key West, as well as the upcoming A Mixed Up, Muddled Up, Shook Up World at the Key West Art and Historical Society’s Custom House Museum. He has received grants from the Anne McKee Fund, the Knight Foundation and, most recently, the 2020 South Florida Cultural Consortium Visual and Media Artists Award. He has lived in Key West longer than he cares to admit.
2. You will receive a link to join the meeting in your automatic email and a reminder 15 minutes before the session.
3. You will receive a photo exercise assignment a week before the first class.
4. You will need to email your photos to the instructor 24 hours before each class.
1. A copy of the Photographer’s Playbook, which can be ordered through Amazon, the Aperture Foundation, or (best option!) through Books & Books at The Studios of Key West.
2. Some type of camera – anything from a phone camera to a high-end Hasselblad. Old photography adage: The best camera is the one you have with you.