The Key West Writes of Spring: A Writing Contest
All participants must register in advance.
The 2014 Writes of Spring Contest
- May 1, 11am – Participants may register with The Studios – a $25 fee applies to cover program costs applies.
- May 12, 5:30pm – Kickoff ceremony for participants at The Studios. Writing prompt will be revealed.
- May 12-June 2 – Writers write!
- June 2 – Submissions due by 4pm at The Studios.
Through the tangled pathways, the twisted haunts, the spare and winding channels of Monroe County lurk fantastical stories and the people who tell them.
TSKW wants to read these stories.
On Monday, May 12 at 5:30, we begin. So come all you secret wordsmiths, you diligent doodlers, inkslingers & scribes.
Let the Writes of Spring catapult you to local fame & fortune. Meet others of your ilk, talk trash, & tell tales.
Be Brave! Be strong! Bring your work forth into the light of the season and…
SHOW US YOUR STUFF!
The rules are simple, the command straightforward.
Between May 12 and June 2, you’ll write 2500-10000 words of a partial or complete story – The work must be new, and final submissions are due to The Studios by June 4 at 4pm.
TSKW will begin accepting registrations at 11am on Thursday, May 1 online, in person in the program office, or by telephone at 305-296-0458, and all participants must register and be confirmed by TSKW staff in advance of the May 12 start date.
Registration is limited to 25 persons – first come, first served — and is open only to residents of Monroe County (including part-time residents). A fee of $25 to cover program costs will be required.
If you join us…
- You’ll meet for an orientation session at The Studios on Monday, May 12 at 5:30pm. Experienced writers will share their thoughts on how you get started, and fertilize your ideas. You’ll also be assigned a serial number so that your work can be submitted to judges with anonymity.
- You’ll be given the topic for the competition, not a constraining theme but a provocative phrase/concept to help get you focused.
- You’ll turn in a work of 2,500 to 10,000 words (that’s approximately 10-40 double-spaced pages, 6-25 book pages) three weeks later, Monday, June 2, by 4pm.
- The submissions will be judged by a panel of experienced, published writers, and awards will be presented at a public ceremony late-June.
- The first prize-winner and four runners-up will each receive prize packages including gift certificates to The Studios and local restaurants.
- With permission from the writers (optional) the winners will be published online at www.tskw.org.