The Key West Writes of Spring: A Writing Contest
Bookmark this page – registration begins here on Monday, May 1 at 11am.
The Studios of Key West has always embraced the Art of the Word – poetry, prose, playwriting – as an important part of our mission. For the third time, we’re offering a writing competition inspired by National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo.org) which sponsors an international month-long novel writing project in November. Our contest, which begins on Monday, May 12 and runs through Monday, June 2, is called ‘Writes of Spring’.
TSKW will begin accepting registrations at 11am on Monday, May 1 online, in person in the program office, and by telephone at 305-296-0458, and all participants must register and be confirmed by TSKW staff in advance of the May 12 start date.
Registration is limited to 25 persons – first come, first served — and is open only to residents of Monroe County (including part-time residents). A fee of $25 to cover program costs will be required.
If you join us…
- You’ll meet for an orientation session at The Studios on Monday, May 12 at 5:30pm. Experienced writers will share their thoughts on how you get started, and fertilize your ideas. You’ll also be assigned a serial number so that your work can be submitted to judges with anonymity.
- You’ll be given the topic for the competition, not a constraining theme but a provocative phrase/concept to help get you focused.
- You’ll turn in a work of 2,500 to 10,000 words (that’s approximately 10-40 double-spaced pages, 6-25 book pages) three weeks later, Monday, June 2, by 4pm.
- The submissions will be judged by a panel of experienced, published writers, and awards will be presented at a public ceremony late-June.
- The first prize-winner and four runners-up will each receive prize packages including gift certificates to The Studios and local restaurants.
- With permission from the writers (optional) the winners will be published online at www.tskw.org.